Saturday 14 December 2013

Traditional Christmas

Started early in September
with the summer on the wane
bought mi Christmas puddin's cheaply
so I'm ready once again

Written every single card out
an' dusted off the trimmin's
'ave laid in quite a nut supply
collected all the wimmins

presents, such as silky fancies
Christmas wrap - to wrap 'em with
perfume fit to scent a hareem
an' I'm now decidin' - dith-

erin' - Should Aunt Min's present 'ave
cost less than Uncle Perry's
Will she grumble once more this time
"'Ee doesn't drink sweet sherry"

Susan's lad, is 'ee still courtin'?
Not that blond with four young boys?
Well I won't be buyin' for them
'Ee won't get 'em any toys

Christmas looms wi' empty stockin's
to drain 'is empty coffers
Never could stand spotty meanness
'Is socks were Special Offers

An' our Mabel - Will she notice
that I'm givin' 'er the same
bubble bath she gave me last year?
Well its just a Christmas game (bit o' fun)

Don't know why I bother really
Christmas isn't like it was
but I've wrapped the presents - nearly -
all except mi' son's because

Should it still be that Sale jumper?
Will 'ee like the aftershave?
Well the market stall 'ad plenty
though 'ee never quite forgave

last year's present - soap - which stripped off
all 'is skin to leave it red
Still 'ee's got to 'ave a present
Thank god Uncle Albert's dead
  
'Ee was such a one to buy for
Never could get 'is gift right
Didn't read and wouldn't 'elp me
so we always used to fight

I'd buy sweets - 'Ee wouldn't eat them
I'd buy socks - They weren't 'is kind
Still, the year I made the fruit cake
Uncle Albert didn't mind

'Is box was lined in baby blue
Looked so peaceful lyin' there
Always think of 'im at Christmas
Buried 'im before New Year

Now there's only Sam - but really
I'm not sure if 'ee'll buy back
Why should I waste socks an' 'andkies
Dismal bugger got the sack

No use tryin' to 'ave Christmas
Misery there, destroys the feel
Turkey's wasted - 'Ee dun't like it
'Is long face destroys the meal

Only wears the paper 'eadgear
so 'ee gets 'is money's worth
Criticises all the children
Fills the 'owse wi' Christmas mirth (proper little sunshine)

'Ates the Queen an' mocks 'er speeches
Cracks 'is nuts an' spreads the shell
Comes back plastered Christmas lunchtime
......................Likes my fruitcake

................................................            - just as well

13.12.95.bk20/47

No comments:

Post a Comment