Saturday 14 December 2013

Christmas Card List

           Now 'oo shall I send cards to?
           Mother an' Mrs Evans up the road
           Well mother 'ud be offended if I didn't
            What with Mrs Evans 'avin 'er back
            ..an' er cross to bear
            We 'ave to neighbour a lot
            an' mother takes 'er 'ot pot round
            ..not that she ever seems to eat it

            'Oo else? Oh yes The Neighbours
            Well they watch the 'owse when I go away
            ..though I'm certain Mrs Jarvis' son Robert
            was the one 'oo robbed the knickers off the line
            well I wouldn't 'ave minded but they were mi best pilch
            Irreplaceable - an' so embarrassin'
            That policemen didn't know where to put 'imself
            You'd think 'ee'd never 'eard the word knicker before
            Anyway I suppose I'd better send 'er one

            I'll make it just for 'er
            What was 'er name? Betty? Edna? Ann?
            Well I can 'ardly put Mrs Jarvis can I?
            Easier just to put Greetings from
            Not so personal - but I don't like 'er much

            An' Marjorie next door - bit scruffy for my likin'
            streams of men troopin' in an' out
            none of 'em stop long

            An' Mr an' Mrs Prenderghast in the detached
            not that they ever made me welcome
            "Take off your shoes so you don't dirty the carpets"
            You'd think I was a pit worker
            Never allowed in 'ee isn't - without carpet slippers on 'is feet
            Funny woman

            Oh yes an' Lavinia
            What she wants wi' that great tribe of kids
            I'll never know
            Three or four belong to 'er sisters
            but that still leaves three or four that are 'ers
            No 'usband in evidence - never was, so I 'ear -
            Still they're all like that these days.
            not one of 'em washed very much either
            Still I'll send 'er  a card

            Auntie Phil and Uncle Sid
            Thank goodness they're not comin' back 'ere again this year
            What with 'er 'ot flushes an' 'is "indigestion problems"
            the window was never shut
           
            Trudie..shall I send one to Trudie?
            Well she 'asn't sent me one since 1979
            ..jog 'er elbow? just a bit o' fun
            Yes I'll send one to Trudie
            ..make 'er feel guilty

            And Connie
            ..never sent me a card since we left school
            Miserable devil..promised she would
            Still those twelve months in Styal probably put 'er off wantin' to be   known
            ..shopliftin' wasn't it..?
            best be incognito I suppose
            Yes I'll send 'er one

            Now 'oo does that leave?
            Clarice and Bill..Eric an' Juliah
            Why the `h' I'll never know

            Jannie and Popples
            Suppose I'll 'ave to include Popples
            Fancy sendin' a Christmas card to a poodle
            Still she only gets offended..

            Oh yes..an' our Brian - an' that slut -
            What's 'er name?..Nasturtium?
            All beads fags an' incense
            ..probably to 'ide the fact that she doesn't wash much
            ..an' our Brian never sends me one
            so I don't know why I bother

            Now what shall I put this year?
            A Merry Christmas
                        and a very Happy New Year
                                    with lots of love
                                                and affectionate regard
                                                            from Lorena and Ted

            Yes that'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment